This is Ombre

Ombre, Balayage, hair painting, color melt…. what does it all mean????

It’s confusing when you want what you want but you don’t know what to make an appointment for.  Hopefully this helps a bit ——>

Ombre vs Balayage

“Ombre” is a  look or style you want.  “Balayage” is the technique a stylist can use to get the look or style you want.

Ombre is a french word meaning- the gradual blending of one color hue to another, usually moving from dark to light. In true ombre, there isn’t any dark pieces in thru the bottom  section of light hair.

Ombre is a word used to describe this subtle blend of color on anything.  There are ombre rugs, walls, dresses and sunsets….

This is Ombre

This is Ombre


This is Ombre

The word “sombre” is used to describe a more subtle color change where there  isn’t a big difference between the darkest and the lightest.  Dark blonde to light blonde -or- Brown to light brown.  Lighter pieces are being taken up higher on the head, particularly around the face, and there are ribbons of darker colors woven thru the bottom.

“Homebre” is a word used by stylists during a color correction while describing an at-home ombre color job. Please ladies – this is a look that is best left to the professionals.

Balayage is the painting technique that uses a sweeping motion with a brush and a small amount of product to produce a gradual color transition between dark and light. Highlights are strategically placed to produce a natural enhancement the color of the hair while keeping the lightener away for the scalp. Balayage  helps create a gradual transition between the natural regrowth and the light highlights while avoiding the obvious regrowth line that a typical foiled highlight produces. It is perfect for adding just a few highlights around the face or giving the hair a “sun-kissed” look.

Balayage, or hair painting, is used to create ombre and sombre and any other look where the lighter color is applied away from the scalp, painted directly on the hair and left out of a foil.

Color melt is a style where the color on top “melts” into another color (then sometimes into another).  A variety of colors are used for the top, transition and bottom. Melts can go from light to dark, dark to light, red to green, purple to yellow…. the options are endless.

In the end, it always helps to have a picture of what you are hoping to achieve – that way you can make sure everyone is on the same page.

I hope this helps with any color terminology confusion. xoxoxo





Share This Post